Contact us

MU Personal Accident

This is a MU member benefit providing valuable cover in the event of an accident that results in disability.

All paying members of the Musicians' Union resident in the UK under 80 year of age are insured against disability following an accident, through Aviva.

Please note that reduced benefits apply to those under 18 years of age.

What type of incident is covered?

This policy covers MU members against accidental injury which arises at any time other than whilst undertaking a non-Musicians' Union-related occupation. A Musicians' Union Occupation is defined as the 'composition, creation or performance of music or the tuition thereof'.

Is there an excess or deductible?

The first 14 days are excluded under the temporary disability section of the policy.

Are payments made on incidents occurring outside of the UK?

Yes. The policy covers incidents occurring worldwide, provided that you are resident in the UK.

What are the benefits if I do have an accident?

The policy pays the following benefits in the event of an 'accident' covered by the policy:

  • Loss of life: £20,000.
  • Loss of one or both eyes: £20,000.
  • Loss of one or more limbs: £20,000.
  • Permanent total disablement: (up to) £20,000.
  • Temporary total disablement: £125 per week, payable for up to 52 weeks, excluding the first two weeks.

The policy also provides certain benefits for medical expenses, coma benefit, disability assistance, hospitalisation and funeral expenses following an accident covered by the policy. 'Accident' means a sudden, unexpected, unusual, specific incident.

The maximum payable in respect of temporary total disablement shall not exceed £6,500 for any member during any continuous 36-month period.

Do I get benefits if I don't work as a musician?

If you haven't worked in a Musicians' Union Occupation within two weeks of the time of an accident, the weekly £125 benefit will only be payable if the disability is sufficient to prevent you from undertaking any occupation.

If you do not earn your living from a Musicians' Union Occupation then, in the event of permanent disability following an accident, the percentages shown in the Policy Wording document will be payable.

What if I am aged less than 18 years?

The maximum payable under the temporary total disability benefit is £25 per week and the maximum, in the event of loss of life following an accident, is £2,000. The other benefits are the same.

What are the principal exclusions?

  • The first 14 days following an insured accident.
  • Aeronautics or aviation other than as a passenger.
  • Drug abuse.
  • Intentional self-injury or suicide.
  • Involvement in the armed forces.
  • Fighting or duelling other than self-defence.
  • Mountaineering or rock climbing.
  • Riding or hunting on horseback.
  • Motor cycling, quad biking, parachuting, winter sports, racing.
  • War and/or terrorism.
  • Illness or disease not resulting from an accident.
  • Natural causes, degenerative process or a gradually operating condition.
  • Injuries arising from a non-Musicians' Union-related occupation.
  • Pre-existing weakness.
  • Psychiatric, mental or nervous disorder.

Are there any conditions?

Yes. You must notify Hencilla Canworth of any potential claim as soon as possible but, in any event, within three months of an accident. You must take reasonable care. You must notify Hencilla Canworth if you intend to travel to an area of unrest.

How do I make a claim?

In the event that you need to make a claim, contact Hencilla Canworth as soon as possible. Call 020 8686 5050 or email

Please be aware that late notification can lead to claims being repudiated.